Here are three reasons the GOP’s latest attempt to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act is a complete disaster:
- 1. The latest version of Trumpcare is not bipartisan. Americans want the Congress to work across the aisle to solve the nation’s biggest problems. While the ACA became the law of the land with a strictly partisan vote, Republicans in Congress had months to ask questions, raise concerns, and provide input in formal and informal settings. There has been no effort to listen to the concerns of Democrats in a meaningful way and Paul Ryan and the White House shut down a bipartisan effort on healthcare reform yesterday.
- The latest version of Trumpcare hasn’t been scored by the CBO and it may not be by the end of the month. Exact numbers of uninsured, costs, potential savings, and the impact on those with pre-existing conditions are not entirely clear. Without scoring from the Congressional Budget Office that clears up many of these questions, Republicans cannot in good conscience vote for the latest version of Trumpcare.
- The latest version of Trumpcare is not an improvement. In fact, the Cassidy-Graham proposal does little to improve on the most recent effort to repeal and replace. Early reports and analysis warn that many states will have to fill significant gaps left by the legislation. Cutting the ACA and passing the problem on to states is not keeping a promise to Republican voters; it’s shamelessly kicking the problem down the road.
The Republicans campaigned for almost seven years on a promise to repeal and replace the ACA. They have the chance to do so now but are failing the American people miserably if they do so with shoddy legislation that will leave millions uninsured and cause untold problems in the healthcare markets for years.
TrumpAccountable.org is a project of GreatPresidentsAccountable. Here are two ways you can be involved in our community:
- Join our effort to increase dialogue between Trump supporters and progressives through our Sharing Conversation initiative.
- Support our efforts to hold Donald Trump accountable with a donation to GreatPresidentsAccountable.